Saturday 21 December 2013

Thor: The Dark World


The second film in the high profile Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 2 and second film in the Thor franchise. Thor: The Dark World is while visually stunning and entertaining but unlike the first Thor movie the story or whatever is here  isn't really all that interesting. And my rule is if you're not going too have a strong story just give the film enough panache too make me not care, the "Avatar" effect to put it lightly. But unfortunately they don't do enough too forgive hell even know the flaws. But I'll give the film credit this, it's better than Iron Man 3 and when the film is entertaining it's really entertaining with big thanks too Tom Hiddleston's performance as Loki.

I bitched about the story but what am I bitching about? There are nine realms of Asgard and once every 5,000 years they align. Earth happens to be one of these realms. These realms create portals between the worlds during the alignment which is called "Convergence". On Earth, in London, Jane Foster (played by Natalie Portman) believes she and her crew have discovered one such portal. Foster, while investigating the phenomenon, is transported to another realm and comes in contact with a substance called Aether. Upon coming into contact with the substance, it draws Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) from Asgard back to Earth. Thor takes Jane to Asgard to be cured from the Aether. Unfortunately in doing so it draws more than just Jane to that world. Another being called Malekith (played by Christopher Eccleston)  wants to use the Aether to destroy Asgard. Devising a plan with his brother the war criminal Loki, Thor heads to The Dark World to destroy the Aether and save Asgard. 


Like I said in the first paragraph, Loki makes this film and all of that goes to Tom Hiddleston you can he loves playing this role which becomes apparent in this mainly because he's really the only one who gets something to do. Every one else are either under used like Malekith who is literally given almost nothing to do, or either have no reason to be in this film like Darcy (played by Kat Dennings)  or Erik Selveg (played by Stellan Skaregard) who are just comedy relief you'll find in an Adam Sandler film more than a Marvel film. Which is sad because the banter between Loki & Thor works beautifully and is more than enough.


Even with me complaining through most of this review their were elements too this I did find highly enjoyable and with one scene which is a spoiler I can describe as inspired. I'm not giving every detail but it's the funeral scene. Moments like these help you get through the film alot and make you have more a positive feeling about the film and with some people I've read is enough to forgive all the flaws. But not me. 


Like I said in the beginning, the film is visually stunning and I understand why it's on the Oscar shortlist for best Visual Effects. And while I did have fun with Thor: The Dark World. I left the theater with a unsatisfied feeling which is disappointing considering that their are really good things about. But, in all honesty I have zero desire too watch this again. 


Grade Rating: B-


(all photos used belong to Walt Disney Motion Picture Studio's & Marvel Studio's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment